You are actually paying a wholesale Music Support price
PERL is a scripting language, which means each
time a PERL routine is executed the web server must examine the PERL
commands to determine what to do. If these are not sufficient for your needs, you can
find a remote hosting service to provide the necessary functions. CGI is actually a set of standards where a program or script (a
series of commands) can send data back to the web server where it can be
processed. The CGI routine then performs some action with
I hope this short introduction to CGI has cleared up some of the mystery.
Some important things to remember about CGI routines:
- You can install CGI routines on your own site if your host allows it -
Addr. More complicated routines can
maintain a database, send an acknowledgement and validate data.Com is an example of a web host which allows for CGI routines. At this time, the CGI routine "takes
control", meaning the browser essentially is waiting for it to complete.
- Generally, if you install your own routines they must be installed in the
cgi-bin directory of your site. The data which is
retrieved from the visitor (or directly set if the tag includes the "hidden"
qualifier) is placed in the variable name.
5) This CGI routine can get data from variable names. This is a special location which allows
scripts and programs to be executed.
2) You create HTML tags which retrieves data from your visitors.
Usually they want to display advertisements, although some of them actually
take visitors away from your site. If it
helps any, CGI means Common Gateway Interface. Windows NT and Windows
2000 does support CGI, but it tends to be slow and problematic.
- When you write a CGI routine, you have the choice of a scripting language
like PERL or a compiled language such as C++ or Visual Basic.
- Email Forms - A simple CGI forms routine just formats the data into an
email and sends it back to the webmaster.
Okay, in a nutshell (and greatly simplified), here's how it works:
1) You (the webmaster) specify a form tag which includes the name of the CGI
routine. It retrieves the data
and does whatever action is required. In this case, the CGI routine maintains a
database of email addresses, and the better ones send acknowledgements back
to the visitor and webmaster.
Some of the more common uses of CGI include:
- Guestbooks - The CGI routine is responsible for accepting the data,
ensuring it is valid, sending an email acknowledgement back to the writer,
perhaps sending an email to the webmaster, and creating the guestbook entry
- If you use a remote hosting service, you must remember that although they
appear to be giving you this for free, you are actually paying a wholesale Music Support price.
3) Each of the input tags includes a variable name. Anything which
can Floor Drain Manufacturers execute on the web server is acceptable.
- CGI routines work best on Apache-style servers. In contrast, a compiled language such as
C++ or Visual Basic can be directly executed, which is faster and more
A CGI routine can be anything which understands the CGI standard. A popular
CGI language is called PERL, which is simple to understand and use (well,
compared to other languages).
6) When the CGI routine finishes, it returns control back to the web client
- Mailing List Maintenance - These routines allow visitors to subscribe and
unsubscribe from a mailing list.
Typically, you use standard HTML tags to get data from a person, then pass
that data to a CGI routine.
Let's unlock a little bit of the mystery about something called CGI. Some web
hosts do not allow you to install your own routines but do provide some
pre-written ones to you.
4) When the visitor presses the "submit" button, the CGI routine which was
specified in the form tag is executed. . This is a method which is
used to exchange data between the server (the hardware and software that
actually allows you to get to your web site) and a web client (your